Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Food and Culture photo essay

This came to me as an e-mail with the photos and text pasted in. It actually worked nicely that way because I could scroll down to less and less expensive (but usually more nutritious) food collections.

Nonetheless, you might enjoy the photo essay of what people eat and what it costs weekly on several levels. What stood out to me was the number of countries where soda pop figured in their beverage consumption, the amount of bread in the Sicilian family's diet, and the fresh vegetables in the "poorer" country's diets.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger rg said...

Doulicia, I can't get through your link...

1:33 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Here's the link itself. does it work any better? The one in the blog works for me, so I don't know what's not working in translation...

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519,00.html.

I guess you could also go to Time Magazine's website and put "What the World Eats" in the search menu.

1:48 PM  
Blogger rg said...

Oh, I got it. Feel a little stupid now... I was clicking on the label. Not my day to read apparently.

5:51 PM  
Blogger Alwen said...

The other book by Peter Menzies, "Material World," is also striking. After I got it from the library, we bought a copy.

9:09 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

I have seen that book, Material World. Very striking indeed. I didn't realize it was the same person, but it makes sense both in subject matter and photo composition. Thanks for adding that piece.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home