Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Cinxia

Over the weekend I finished Cinxia. I am glad to have it done. The slip stitch collar and cuffs were so fun to knit. I love the finished product. However, I did not enjoy most of the process. A few complaints:

1. Twisted Stockinette. I'm a tight knitter to start with. Throw in the twists (knitting through the back of each knit stitch) and it became an effort to get my needle through the stitches. This is probably more my problem than the pattern's -- and the end result is great -- but it took much of the fun out of it.

2. Yoke. This is the first sweater I've knit in the round. Generally it was great knitting circularly rather than back and forth. And I certainly appreciated not having to sew seams. However, when the sleeves join the body of the sweater, the circular knitting has to make a tight turn to incorporate the curve of the sleeves. This curve was shorter than the length of my needles, which meant I needed to use a third needle to slip each stitch off my left needle and knit it to the right. There simply wasn't enough give in the needles or the yarn to knit directly from one to the other. Fortunately this eased as the yoke grew and by the time I had a couple inches of yoke I could go directly from one needle to the other.

Again, however, the finished project looks just as I'd hoped. And despite my fears as I finished it, it fits! It was definitely a little tight across the yoke. When I blocked it, I stretched the top out a little more than I otherwise would. For the first time in my blocking history, blocking actually made a noticable difference in the fit of the finished item.



And now the details:

Pattern: Cinxia from Fall 2005 Knitty

Yarn: Rowan DK Tweed, color 864 (8 hanks); I got the yarn for 50% off (but have forgotten how much the total was) . The color is best represented by the photo at the top of this post somewhere between a terra cotta and dusty rose

Needles: Several different lengths of size 8 circulars

Notes: I made the sleeves about an inch longer than the pattern called for. This is a standard modification for me as I am long limbed. I also had to convert all the measurements to accomodate my tighter gauge. I had was working about 1.1 times tighter than the pattern called for. I'm especially pleased that the calculations worked!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger T$ said...

Awesome! It looks so nice! It is fun to see someone's finished product, since I can't finish one of my own. Bravo!

8:47 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

Beautiful! I still haven't progressed any on mine. I have so many UFOs that I really need to get moving on them again. Your finish may just be the boot in the butt I need to finish my Cinixa!

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gogeous knitting. if i still made garments with sleeves--other than for the grandkids--this one would tempt me. now a vest is all i'll embark on--rarely.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Beautiful! I love it! It looks really comfortable--the kind of thing you wear all of the time.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's lovely!

Heart

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, you knit that in the ROUND? Did you do a steek?

It's beautiful.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spectacular job! I printed this pattern some time ago and forgot all about it. You made it look even better than in the pattern pictures! What a beautiful sweater. Isn't blocking a wonderful thing!

4:46 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Bad explanation on my part, Julie. No steeks. The sleeves were knit in the round. The body was back and forth.

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to finish my Cinxia Sweater. I'm knitting it with a friend, as a dual project. I just finished my second sleeve tonight. I'm waiting for my friend to catch up, so we can tackle attaching them to the body.
I googled "Cinxia", so I could find any helpful hints. Thank you for the info. You did a great job! Love the color!

12:28 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Lisa,

Post a photo (or e-mail me one) when you finish yours!

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll try to get a photo to you. It may be a while. My friend is still working on the body (about 7" into it). I'll see her at 'knit night thurs', at our local yarn shop. She's having a hard time with the twisted sts (as you said, it's tight going...). She had to use size 5 needles (to get gauge!)and I'm using size 7 needles. My yarn is 220 cascade in RED (red is my fav color). Your yarn was quite the deal! I'll keep you posted.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home