Monday, April 16, 2007

Point, Counter-Point

Have you been following the news in Australia? I haven't had time to do anything, let alone digest it for readability here. But in short, at the same time as its various states are considering prohibitions on elective Cesareans, the very skills that make vaginal birth possible are being lost to similar restrictions. Read here for one Aussie's account of her struggle to birth her breach baby vaginally (political/procedural struggle, that is....not physical struggle).

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger cooler*doula said...

I was talking to a friend the other day, and she had NO IDEA that breech babies could be born vaginally.

I don't know... How we have lost our collective knowledge is just sad...

12:46 PM  
Blogger k.thedoula said...

I'm leary of this... just like banning vbac's in hospitals across this continent, this could leave a bad mark too.
Still trying to digest it as well.
k
*I know! ME? Not sure about banning elective c/s? Insane isn't it!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who is a nurse, and he was taught that they should never allow vaginal breech delivery. I had just watched video of a lecture by Ina May that covered this very topic, so I was stunned.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home