Thursday, April 26, 2007

Light at the End of the Proverbial Tunnel

The semester and academic year officially end this weekend with a round of commencement festivities. For those of us who work with students, this means we are about to have a breather from the breakneck pace of the rest of the year. I am looking forward to using lunch hours to spend more time on posts for this blog and commenting on others'.

Until then, I have one more finished project. This is a sweater I finished last September except for sewing on buttons. I got frustrated with my inability to make the garter stitch ribs line up on either side of the button band. When I got that to happen, there were gaps and puckers between my buttons. It sat, unworn, with 4 buttons sewn on it for the entire winter.

Finally a friend said, "don't worry about lining up the ribs, just sew the dang buttons on." I realized this was the only way I was ever going to have a wearable sweater, so I did. Actually I first went and bought some smaller buttons (I hate buttons. Always have. Nothing is less exciting to me than having to select buttons for a sweater.).

Anyway, when the buttons were on, the ribs actually matched up pretty well. I wore it to work the next day.



Pattern: Garter Rib Cardi from spring (or summer?) 2006 Creative Knitting (photo left).

Yarn: Cascade Sierra, color 55

Needles: I've forgotten completely

Notes: This was the project I was working on when I discovered I was purling incorrectly. It actually is a pretty stitch and makes a type of twisted stockinette. Other than that, I followed the pattern exactly and have a tailor-fitted (-knitted) sweater! The color immediately above is probably closer to the actual then the more orange ones from my photo shoot the other night.

Here are a few closeups of the details. First, the twisted stitch and rib pattern.



I'm especially fond of the eyelets at the bottom of the sleeves and body.





The button, for those of you who froth over these things (Honestly. Have some self respect).



And a shot highlighting the ribs. They're really prominent in the finished sweater, even in regular light conditions.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger buttercup said...

Ohhh - very pretty! I've always had a thing for red cardis. So pretty!

7:52 AM  
Blogger gail said...

I think your sweater is wonderful!! The buttons are perfect and the purling adds textual interest. Thanks for your comment on my blog!! I also am a non-practicing lawyer, back in school.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Xtreme English said...

this is like reading about quantum physics (or maybe harder) to me ....the one sweater i ever knitted (knat??), i started for kid #2 and finished when kid #4 was maybe two years old. still, i admire good work when i see it. i wish i knew how to knit socks....i knit a great pair of knee highs for a friend once, but i could not turn the heels. basta!

9:31 PM  
Blogger lawbrat said...

Found your blog from other blogs- That sweater is just beautiful! How do you find the time to do that with 2 boys? I'm impressed.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home