Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Talk about your transferrable skills

My older son had a bump cut off his birthmark yesterday (simply to prevent rupture and bleeding, not because of suspected malignancy). We didn't know when we arrived for the appointment that they'd be taking the bump off. It was scheduled as a consultation.

When they sprung the news that it would be best to remove the bump, my son's eyes widened. I fell back on my doula training: What are the risks of removal? What are the benefits? What happens if we do nothing? Son, do you have any questions?

When it came time for the injection of numbing medicine, I sat facing my son, holding his hand, telling him how well he was doing. Throughout the procedure I could see tears wetting his closed eyelids. I breathed with him and had him breathe steadily. The doctor began to echo my encouragement: "You're doing great."

And when the doctors and nurses had left the room and he was still a little anxious, I said, "You know, you can cry if you want. It's okay." And he did. It was short but it certainly perked him up.

Then we went for Bubble Tea.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger amelia said...

I love pearl milk tea (that is what we call it at our house). We have a little tradition at our house that when anyone gets a "procedure"--in other words some medical procedure that isn't fun--then you get to go out for ice cream or something special like bubble tea.
I think those informed consent skills and questions are so valuable. I teach Bradley classes and have used several things from my class and applied it to other areas of my life too.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I have found myself falling back on my doula instincts MANY times outside of births and working with postpartum women, especially this summer.

My daughter-in-love is addicted to Bubble Tea!

Hh

11:18 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

I like the tradition of a treat after a "procedure." Thankfully we haven't had too many of them around our house. but even I would appreciate a little something to look forward to after, say, a mammogram!

Hannah, you DEFINITELY need a treat. What is it? If you knit I can help with a treat. :)

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home