Monday, January 02, 2006

Book recommendation

It often takes me a while to read books that I put on my "must read" list. For example, I remember when Expecting Adam got reviewed in the NYTBR. It sounded interesting enough for me to add to my (four-page, nine point type) list. Two years ago a colleague's wife who knew about my birth work recommended it to me gushingly. And now, seven years after its publication, I finally read it.

Let me recommend it to you. It is a memoir about one couple's transformation from Achievers to humble and happy humans. The path it takes is through their second pregnancy, one in which the baby is diagnosed with Down Syndrome while in utero. Their coming to terms with the diagnosis as well as a series of mystical (?, spiritual?) experiences during their son's gestation forms the backbone of the book.

It was a very fast read, in part because I'm such a sucker for pregnancy chronicles. But also because Beck is a talented writer whose story of reevaluating her life's priorities and philosophy hit a deep nerve with me.

Sometime in the next seven years or so, you might try picking it up yourself!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jellyhead said...

Hi Doulicia, I came to your blog because of a comment you left on The Bookworm's blog... you just sounded like such a lovely, 'thinking' person!

I read "Expecting Adam" some time ago - perhaps even pre-kids (my eldest is 5 now). I do remember finding it a very powerful book...I think I may have even shed a tear or several. Maybe I'll go back and read it again.

Keep up the blog-writing, won't you? Your posts are a pleasure to read.
Happy New Year!

10:32 PM  
Blogger The Mommy Blawger said...

Great book, but don't read it in your 1st trimester when you have a history of HG. Just a tip.

Also read her book "Leaving the Saints" which was quite good as well.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home