Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Some call him Scrooge, some call him Grinch

In my family, we call him "Daddy."

Yes, it's true. My beloved spouse is not a fan of the holiday season. He puts on a good show but underneath he's seething. The perfect illustration:

Last night I was thinking aloud, excitedly, about the game plan for Christmas Eve. What we'd eat, when we'd eat it, how I'd decorate the table. I noticed Spouse reach in his shirt pocket, pull out a little slip of paper, look at it, nod, then put it back.

I paused mid-sentence and said, "What was that?"

"Nothing," he replied.

After a few vollies he showed me what he had consulted. It was a table he'd drawn up. On the left were stressors, on the right were constructive ways to deal with them. For example, across from "Job search" it said, "finish application to X University; think about interview questions sent by Y University; otherwise, try not to think about it."

Item 3 on his list of stressors? "Christmas." What to do about it? "Same as job search. Try not to think about it."

A right jolly old elf is he.

3 Comments:

Blogger doulicia said...

Thanks for the tip, Gina. I will have to check it out. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is my favorite holiday story. But it's a little too sentimental for my spouse.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Oh ha ha, your spouse and I are so totally on the same page! Even worse? Halloween. Bah, humbug.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I _love_ The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, too, doulicia.

I shared your blogspot with my parents the other day, and then last night with hubby. He's SOOOO like yours about Christmas and it's really hard for him this week.

Thanks, Hh

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home