Thursday, July 13, 2006

Client Load Update

I haven't had any births since April. This is largely by design. I'd had a busy winter and wanted a break for May. I knew June would be busy with the end of school and a trip to my in-laws'. I was open to a last-minute July client, but none came along. I thought I'd take an October client and have that be it for the year.

So I interviewed with and was hired by a couple due mid-October.

Then the friend of a former client contacted me about a late August birth. I said I couldn't be her doula -- we were taking vacation at the end of August and then there's the start of school for my kids and me at work -- but that I'd meet her for tea to talk about doulas generally.

Well, we've all had it happen. I totally clicked with this woman and her partner. They are very interesting. They are very informed about birth and yet laid back (both rare in first-time parents). They run marathons. By the end of our tea we were hugging goodbye and saying how sad we were that it wouldn't work out to pair up. I suggested they talk to T$ and said I'd be more than happy to be on-call for them any time T$ wasn't available. Now I'm not even sure how it occurred, but I am their doula and T$ is backing me up the week I'm out of town. It will be hairy, but I couldn't be happier.

As all that was happening, I heard from the man who has been doing some consulting with the Center for the Childbearing Year. He is a magnificent person -- everyone at the Center holds him in such high regard -- and now he is expecting his first child. He wanted to talk about my being his doula. They are due in mid-October. I said "sure" reflexively -- What an honor! -- and then realized I'd already committed to the other October clients. I've talked with both parties and they're okay with my being on call for them at the same time. These things work out, right?

A month ago I had lunch with a former client who's now a friend. She announced she was six weeks pregnant. I didn't ask, but I think that makes her due in January. If she'll have me, I'd love to be there.

And then last week I got a call from a friend who also was generous enough to let me be her doula when I was seeking certification and still learning my way around birth. She, too, is pregnant again. Her due date, if all goes well, would be in early March.

So it appears I have the next year laid out for me already. Exciting on one hand, but it also means I'll be saying "no" to all inquiries from here out for a while. I realized that with the few births I take each year, I could actually be pretty full with repeat clients if they have babies every 2-3 years and use me for future births!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

Isn't it funny how the clients fall into place sometimes? That sounds like the perfect client load. Getting repeat clients is especially wonderful!

And I'm sure the two clients due in October will work out fine. Like you said, these things work themselves out. At least that's what I'm telling myself, I'm on call for two right now and I have my fingers crossed!

12:58 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

YES! I have noticed it always works out...one way or another.

:)
Hh

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, doule! That's great news.

5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home