Thursday, January 19, 2006

Rounding out my doula profile

When I had my little doula blessingway a few years ago, I asked each participant to bring me a small item I could keep in my doula bag as a reminder of them and a source of strength for me at challenging births. I can still list all the things I got, even though I've never reopened the bundle they're all tied up in at the bottom of my bag. Just knowing they're there is so helpful.

Anyway, in addition to a physical item (a candle, in fact), one of my guests gave me the gift of advice: learn to knit. She was a midwife herself and said that knitting offered here something to do to pass the time at births while still remaining present for the mother. Wise advice I have been meaning to follow ever since.

For Christmas my sister consulted my Amazon Wish List and got me Stitch 'n Bitch, as well as a pair of size 10 needles and a skein of yarn. The rest was up to me.

I'm pleased to report that in the past three weeks I have knitted 27 rows on my little practice patch and am enjoying the process greatly. In fact, rather than casting off and saving it as my first knitting effort, I may keep going and turn it into my first project, a scarf.

At any rate, with a birth looming near (induction scheduled for next Wednesday), I'm happy to know enough what I'm doing that I can take my knitting with me to the birth and not be consulting the book every few seconds.

I'm trying to decide whether I'm up to the Knitting Olympics. I have 22 days to decide (Feb. 10). I'm inclined to try at this point. We'll see. Let me know if any of you are doing it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My boyfriend and I are strongly considering hiring a doula for the birth of our first child. We would love to know if you would be available from October 31st until December 5th for my due date of November 21st. If there is a possibility of that working than we would be delighted to hear back from you. Or if not, and you have a recommendation for us that would be fine as well!

Sincerely,
Amy Shannon
dra90n@hotmail.com

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home