Wednesday, October 12, 2005

AAP: Back to Sleep, Back in the Crib

Monday the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a revised policy on SIDS prevention. Among the recommendations:


  • Babies should be put to sleep on their back only; no side positioning
  • Babies should be encouraged to sleep with pacifiers
  • Babies should not sleep with, though should sleep near, parents

Their concern with side sleeping is that the baby can still roll or squirm on to her belly. I am curious to know if that is the case even with the little sleep positioners, which we used with both of our boys. [In looking for information, I came across this hugely depressing site where parents recount how their children died due to malfuntions of baby devices. You can click story to story...but I urge you not to, especially if you still have young children]

The academy acknowledges that pacifiers can interfere with establishing breastfeeding and recommends parents wait until the baby is a month old before using pacifiers.

As for co-sleeping, the statement says:

Bed sharing is not recommended during sleep. Infants may be brought into bed for nursing or comforting, but should be returned to their own crib or bassinet when the parent is ready to return to sleep. However, there is growing evidence that room sharing (infant sleeping in a crib in parent’s bedroom) is associated with a reduced risk of SIDS. The AAP recommends a separate but proximate sleeping environment.

I wonder what elements of room sharing benefit babies that the family bed or separate room sleeping do not? I guess if we had all the answers, SIDS would not still cause 2,500 deaths a year in the United States.

6 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

THANK YOU for this--I heard about it yesterday, but hadn't found the info yet.

Hh

3:49 PM  
Blogger fbw said...

I sleep with my son and I slept with my older son- I think they are just full of it- Seems odd- I can sleep with my dog but not my baby?!

4:22 PM  
Blogger alicia said...

take a close look at who paid for publicizing this - a major contributor was the Juvenile Products Manufacturing Association - they are the trade group for (among others) the manufacturers of cribs and other baby 'equipment'.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

You have some good recommendations there.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

This is post that I will use as a resource with some of the new parents I work with...I couldn't link to the other site. I think I'd get too upset, but I am sure there are important issues with which all of us should be aware of.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

For those who might be interested:

"API's Attachment Parenting International Position Paper regarding the new recommendations by the American Academy of Pediatrics"


http://www.attachmentparenting.org/aappp.shtml

Hh

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home