Thursday, September 08, 2005

Elective Cesarean Poster Child



As reported in USA Today:

"Spears, 23, says she doesn't know the baby's sex (but has a feeling it is a boy), and hopes to have a cesarean section. 'I don't want to go through the pain. My mom said giving birth was the most excruciating thing she's ever gone through in her life.'"

This from a woman with a pierced navel and breast implants (not to mention those rubber catsuits)? Careful what you wish for, Britney.

Seriously, it is so sad that this idol for many young women is saying "birth is so scary I'd rather get a Cesarean." This is what we're up against, birth community. Rock stars. When it's Britney Spears vs. Ina May Gaskin, I'm afraid we're not going to get much attention.

6 Comments:

Blogger T$ said...

Britney isn't a rock star. She is a "Pop" star. As in I would like to "pop" her in the head.

Yikes.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

hehe...you go, Terri. :) I'll hold her down. ;)

It's been amazing to me that as physically fit as she is--I've DANCED in shows and it is HARD!--that she doesn't feel strong and powerful when it comes to birth. But according to what I've read she has been influenced by her mother. Goes to show that our mother's/friends/etc. experiences influence those (who can't or won't think for themselves.)

Hh

1:13 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

No, really? I can't belive she'd actually say that. If so, then I hope that gets as widely disseminated as her other quotes!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was terrified too and chose to have a section... look it is a matter of choice here and that is that. I personally would never want to push a 7 pound, 21 inch thing out of my YOU KNOW WHAT... and I am happy with my decision.

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too. I prefer cesarean and have good experiences. I really hate how much judgment there is on women for choosing to have their baby the way that makes them the most comfortable and happy. Shame on you guys! Being supportive and sharing information is what we should be doing so that everyone can make an informed choice about what is best for them.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with above. I too am having an elective cesarean this July and either way you choose, aslong as you love that child what difference does it make! It is a personal choice. And to be honest, my mum said it was like dying! If your not remotely bothered about having a sex life after then go ahead and give birth to a volley ball. I would prefer my nether regions to stay in tact so i can have a good sex life and be a great mother after! Claire/ Dubai

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home