Monday, August 29, 2005

News Roundup

First, please notice I've cleaned up my blogroll. Welcome Milliner's Dream and RedSprial, two doula blogs. Also welcome to Of Life, Education, E-bay, Travel and Books and The Examining Room of Dr. Charles, another two blogs that I enjoy reading for their interesting content. I wish a fond farewell to Chez Miscarriage, the infertility blog with a happy ending.

Next, congratulations to DONA doula Debbie Young and business partner Tammy Ryan who've opened a resource center for pregnant and post-partum women in Iowa. It offers everything from childbirth classes to lactation consultants. Excellent idea, gals.

I'm so enthusiastic because I've had a similar idea for a few years. Actually I have two business (or non-profit) ideas. One would be a store that sells everything pregnant and postpartum women need. Homebirth kits, belly casting kits, nipple shields, nursing bras and clothing, cloth menstruation pads, boppys, nursing stools, herbs, teas and tinctures, and books, of course. I'd also have space in the back for childbirth classes, play groups and post-partum depression groups to meet.

The other idea is a clearinghouse for pregnancy and post-partum needs. Imagine if with one phone call you could line up a birth or postpartum doula, lactation consultant, therapist/counselor, as well as register for classes on childbirth, breastfeeding, newborn care, postpartum adjustment and infant massage. This same location would offer support groups, nutritional information, and referrals to outside resources. I found in my postpartum period that making one phone call took too long, and if I had to make two it never happened.

Finally, here is a short but sweet story about a boy who assisted with the precipitous delivery of his baby sister.

Happy Monday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Thanks for adding me to your blogroll!

The story of the brother helping with sister's birth made me cry!

Debbie's been working on the business for over year, getting the people and things in place to open.

When I was in LA this summer there were a couple of business similar to what you are describing. One was called "The Pump Station" and carried everything related to breastfeeding and new baby--slings, pumps, clothing, etc. Everything "sales" person was a certified lacatation consultant or certified lacatation educator! It was VERY cool.

I love your clearinghouse idea.

Hh

11:19 AM  
Blogger RedSpiral said...

Thanks for adding me too. :)

My friend Alisha (no, I'm not kidding lol) here locally had a similar fantasy... pulling together a nonprofit with a board that functions well is soo incredibly difficult. I'm serving on a board now and we're loathe to let anyone else on for fear that it'll interrupt our really excellent groove! LOL I definitely think a clearinghouse is a fantastic idea and if it ever came to fruition I would support it all the way. The only fear is the loss of individual focus with something like that- elements start to depend on each other and inevitably you see corners being trimmed to build up things elsewhere, etc... so it can be scary for that, too.

Ideas... I live off of them!!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home