Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Cervix Photos

I'm guessing anyone who visits hear is already more in the loop than I and has already heard of My Beautiful Cervix. A student midwife and doula took (actually had her partner take) daily photos of her cervix. THEY ARE AMAZING!

I have seen cervices, including my own. But I never saw or imagined the variety of fluids that are continually exiting the uterus. My image was of an organ that bled a few days a month and was otherwise quiet. I mean, yes, I knew about vaginal discharge and have observed its changing textures. But LOOK AT THESE PHOTOS. There's creamy, there's milky, there's bloody. Every day a different combination.

Women, we are marvels. Truly.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Alwen said...

This might be old news to you, but have you seen any of Dr. Helen O’Connell's research on the internal structure of the clitoris?

“Clitoral Anatomy in Nulliparous, Healthy, Premenopausal Volunteers Using Unenhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging” written with John O. L. DeLancey. J Urol. 2005 June; 173(6): 2060-2063

9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really amazing - something I really thought I would never see, actually, lol! I don't think I could have done that. Well, I know I couldn't have! But it is pretty cool that someone did as who would have thought that a cervix could have so many different moods.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog! I live in northern Michigan-- but have relatives in Ann Arbor-- and am seriously considering becoming a doula...we don't even have midwives here anymore and I so believe in the transformative power of birth and want to be a support for allowing women to fully be present in that moment. I have three small children though (the youngest being one, eldest being nine)-- is now the right time to begin this journey?

9:42 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Oh, dear.. I come back to the doula/birth/midwifery blogging community and find that you haven't posted in months. Please tell me you're still around!

- Doula Matt (back from the dead!)

2:42 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

WOW. How weird and amazing and kind of a little wonderful.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home