Thursday, August 07, 2008

nightly blood sucking or monthly metamorphoses?

I know: what's up with 3 posts in the same week? Am I getting back in a groove? Wouldn't that be nice?

I have to share with someone this conversation from last week. We were at the home of friends having some beers (well, I wasn't. I hate beer. I was having a Smirnoff something or other, which is flavored beer, but works for me).

These were Molson (or Labatt?) beers with "conversation questions" on the label. A kitchy idea with just enough genuine merit that we found ourselves reading and answering them. The one that divided us and nearly started a marital spat or two?

"Who would you rather be, a vampire or a werewolf?"

We all rolled our eyes. Easy. No question.

Vampire, right? Except, no! The men said werewolf.

Looks of shock and outrage were exchanged. Then we settled down and explained ourselves. It was clear that sex appeal drove those of us in the vampire camp:


  • vampires are seductive
  • they are drawn to that most scintillating of areas, the neck
  • they have orgies or group somethings (who saw the movie with Tom Cruise?)
  • they're attractive, if undead
The men werewolf contingent thought it obvious that the appeal came from having that animal strength and general reprieve from symptoms except for the monthly full moon. Never mind that we are subject to our own monthly symptoms, the strength argument held little weight.

And that was without taking THIS phenomenon into account, which will no doubt persuade me even more (and is already working on fellow blogger Peacock Chic).

My random Thursday question to you is if you're with me in the vampire camp? If you vote, please include your gender, so I can test my hypothesis that this is very much a men are from Mars, women are from Venus thing.

12 Comments:

Blogger Alwen said...

All I know is, I'm not going to vampire camp - unless Buffy is going to be in my cabin!

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I'm totally all about the nightly blood sucking. Vampires are HOT! LOL (Oh, and I'm of the female variety!)

10:57 AM  
Blogger rg said...

One female vote for vampire!

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a female vote for warewolf. If I had to live off the blood and/or flesh of other humans, I would rather have it happen when I'm in an alternate state of mind where there's a strong possibly I won't remember it later.

7:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah-woooooo! Another female werewolf here. I think it could be fun to be in animal form once a month. But the idea of drinking someone's blood? Ewwww!

5:40 AM  
Blogger T$ said...

Vampires are way more goth than werewolves, so I have to go with vampires. Plus I thought Keifer Sutherland was hot in the Lost Boys.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Nicole D said...

I am so Vampire. Consider this: it would be SOOOO easy being a vampire and being at births - the majority happen at night... the majority prefer dark... strong smells bother most laboring women (i.e. garlic), vamps are seductive - and we know seduction and sexuality helps produce endorphins and oxytocin - two great things for labor, and blood is in good supply in the event you get the munchies while helping postpartum (eeewww!).

And yes, I am female.

I always wanted to be one. Never wanted to be a flea-bitten, wet-dog smelling, lift-your-leg to urinate werewolf whose skeletal structure had to break, reform, crack, and expand every lunal peak. OUCH!

12:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Female and firmly rooted in the the vampire camp. Werewolves look smelly and the transformation looks painful.

Vampires however live forever, always seem wealthy, and the woman always look great and I am all for looking good.

5:27 PM  
Blogger DoulaMomma said...

a female vote for vampire - no contest!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Sandy D. said...

Another female vote for vampire here. Although I would miss sunsets, the whole wolf pack thing is not appealing. Vampires = more individualism = more freedom.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

count me in for vampires!

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Eve said...

When I think of vampires I think they're just like us. Have their own little civilization and culture, you know? Warewolves are more animalistic, natural... although evil. I can't think of animals in nature that kill for the sake of killing, but the concept of warewolves is interesting. I vote vampires, if only for the familiarity.

11:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home