Friday, July 11, 2008

I'd Rather Give Birth...

...than move. But as with labor, the time comes eventually. Inevitably. For me, that time is now.

Tomorrow will find doulicia loading that moving van and hauling her possessions to a new house. Don't get me wrong. I'm excited to be in the new space. I just hate moving.

Plus, my births were pretty darn easy. So it's not saying much to prefer birth to moving. If it weren't for having to keep the baby and raise it, I'd "do birth" over again in a heartbeat.

Which leads me to another insight I've developed the past few months. Realty should have its own doulas. House selling doulas. Wouldn't it be nice to have a reassuring presence by your side as you meet with your agent and learn what your house (that you paid X for) is likely to sell for in this down market (X-Y)? A house selling doula would tell you what to expect and give tips for making things go smoothly. For example, "Don't wipe down the bathroom for an open house until after the boys have peed and been banished to the yard for the remainder of the morning."

When an offer finally comes in on your house, you'd first call your doula to share the flood of emotions -- excitement, disappointment, anxiety -- before meeting with your realtor. And your house selling doula would suggest ways to stay distracted (go to a movie! take a walk!) while the inspector is going through the house and itemizing all the things you have to fix before closing.

I know I could've used someone reminding me to take deep, slow breaths, to keep focused on the end goal, to remember that thousands of people do this every day and have been for years.

Then the doula would come when we're finally in our new house and coo over it, make sure we're taking time from unpacking for self-care, and bring a meal.

Anyone?

p.s. Have I mentioned I have a client due Tuesday?!! Cosmic vibes, please encourage her baby to hang in there just a bit longer!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha, what a GREAT idea! Good luck tomorrow (anything we can do to help?)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Orlando Realtor said...

I loved your story and analogy, but it sounds like you picked the wrong Realtor!

Good luck with your move!

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally sympathize. I'll be moving for the second time in 8 months at the end of August. ugh. I hope it all goes well for you, and that your client holds on a little longer. :)

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home