Friday, March 14, 2008

It's not so much the 10 years as a parent...

Yes, my elder living son turned 10 today. Around 1 this morning, to be exact.

A few years ago, my friend Bookworm wrote about how she wasn't as freaked out about her son's turning 10 as she was at the notion she'd been a mom for ten years. [She was also more positive about the experience than I am, but that may just be genetics. Mine, hers, our sons'.]

That's not what gets me. What squeezes my heart is the thought that in all likelihood I have fewer years left with him in the house than have already passed with him in the house. We're on the downhill side of sharing a roof.

That is a sobering thought.

Even when we start most mornings with him antagonizing his brother. Even though he can take 20 minutes to tell a story and at the end one still isn't sure what the point was. Even if he cannot be awake without waking the entire household.

I'm sure when he's moved on, I'll miss him. Tonight, over the cake of his choosing, we'll celebrate him.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, he can't possibly be ten! Happy birthday, and much love to you both!

8:27 PM  
Blogger james said...

Good wishes to you and your son.It is good to know that your son has turned 10.But what about those who suffer from pregnancy problems.?They also want children...
I have been surveying on this problem from 2 months and found the best resource to help them overcome this problem..
pregnancy help
keep up the good work and good wishes again,
james

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home