Light at the End of the Proverbial Tunnel
Until then, I have one more finished project. This is a sweater I finished last September except for sewing on buttons. I got frustrated with my inability to make the garter stitch ribs line up on either side of the button band. When I got that to happen, there were gaps and puckers between my buttons. It sat, unworn, with 4 buttons sewn on it for the entire winter.
Finally a friend said, "don't worry about lining up the ribs, just sew the dang buttons on." I realized this was the only way I was ever going to have a wearable sweater, so I did. Actually I first went and bought some smaller buttons (I hate buttons. Always have. Nothing is less exciting to me than having to select buttons for a sweater.).
Anyway, when the buttons were on, the ribs actually matched up pretty well. I wore it to work the next day.
Pattern: Garter Rib Cardi from spring (or summer?) 2006 Creative Knitting (photo left).
Yarn: Cascade Sierra, color 55
Needles: I've forgotten completely
Notes: This was the project I was working on when I discovered I was purling incorrectly. It actually is a pretty stitch and makes a type of twisted stockinette. Other than that, I followed the pattern exactly and have a tailor-fitted (-knitted) sweater! The color immediately above is probably closer to the actual then the more orange ones from my photo shoot the other night.
Here are a few closeups of the details. First, the twisted stitch and rib pattern.
I'm especially fond of the eyelets at the bottom of the sleeves and body.
The button, for those of you who froth over these things (Honestly. Have some self respect).
And a shot highlighting the ribs. They're really prominent in the finished sweater, even in regular light conditions.