Wednesday, October 03, 2007

creativity on the internet

I went to a work-related session yesterday on the latest trends in environmental careers. Guess what one of the most desirable characteristics for new hires in the Climate Change/Sustainability field will be in the coming years?

Technical knowledge? no.

Communications skills? no. (well, yes, always, but it's not at the top of the list.)

Creativity? you got it!

Environmental problems present a new challenge because of their complexity (and interconnectedness among fields). Companies, government, non-profits will need workers who have experience making up totally new things, or applying old things in new ways. This trainer's advice to environmental students: take a painting class; do improv; join a writing circle.

Is it wrong that I thought, "Teach all students to knit?"

If you think knitters aren't creative, check out these solutions to everyday challenges:

Thumb sucking.

Where to put the sleeping baby while you garden (o.k., neither knitterly nor new, but wonderful).

Keeping your yarn untangled while you do stranded knitting.

What am I missing? What ingenious things have you knitters been up to?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Shells said...

Long time follower of your blog but I have never commented. I don't have one of my own to offer but found this gem for you...

http://aleakam.wordpress.com/2007/10/03/another-use-for-my-knitting/

11:46 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Shells,

thanks for the link! I love it. Aren't we knitters resourceful?

Thanks, too, for coming out of the lurking shadows.

Most weeks I think this blog is just an echo chamber for my own babbling. It's comforting that other people actually do stop by.

I have bookmarked you, too, now and will be by as well.

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

following your "thumb sucking" link, solved a personal mystery that i posted about the other day. thanks!
www.alittleredhen.com

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home