Monday, September 17, 2007

Cute as a Daisy

Here's a sweet little sweater I made for a colleague's two-year-old daughter. I think it worked well all the way around. She got a handmade sweater in the color of her choosing. I got to knit something girly for a change.


Pattern: more or less the 2-3 year crewneck cardigan pattern from Kate Buller's Style Your Own Kids' Knits.

Yarn: 6 balls Mission Falls 1824 Cotton in Lemongrass. note: I link to the Camilla Valley Farm site because they were kind enough to send a free color card for the yarn. Believing in returning favors, I bought this sweater's yarn from them and share the link here.

Modifications: I made the overall width less than the pattern called for. I also think I reduced a bit for gauge issues, but can't find my notes now so can't be sure. Oh, and I decided to continue the eyelet bands for the button band. It allowed for visual continuity AND some flex in where I sewed on the buttons (insert knowing grin).

Notes/Thoughts: First, this is a very pretty color. My photos wash it out terribly. I received a lot of compliments on the yarn while I was knitting it.

Second, I enjoyed Mission Falls cotton as much as I'd hoped. This was recommended by several knitter friends who use it exclusively for kids knits (it's machine washable). Its slubbiness made it a little hard to work with for K2togs and picking up the buttonband stitches.

Third, the buttons won my heart. I am NOT a button fan. From ages 3-23 I refused to wear any shirts/tops with buttons. That said, these little daisy buttons seemed just the thing.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Alwen said...

Oh, that is the cutest little sweater!

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

charming. button selection is part of the fun; there are good ones for boys too.

what needle size?

1:13 PM  
Blogger Library Cat said...

this sweater is lovely. My favorite color as well!
Flusi

8:58 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Naomi, I think I used size 5 bryspun. I learned the hard way that I need to start recording what needles I'm using for each project. I left my two projects with bound off pieces and 3 different circular needles together in my bag and am guessing at which ones go/went with which projects. Yipes!

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home