Friday, July 06, 2007

Knitting Detour

I made progress on all 3 projects while in New York. I intended to lay them all out for a photo on the stone wall that ran along the edge of "our" property. Unfortunately, I saved that for the last day -- to maximize progress made -- and then got so busy in packing that I forgot.

We returned home with the beloved purse of my niece that she accidentally left behind (the NY trip was for a family reunion). This particular niece became my younger son's best buddy and girlfriend for the duration of the week. She even made it possible for him to participate in the clan-spanning kickball game by helping him run the bases:



Awwww! I had to return her kindness somehow. Knit=love, right? So I dashed off a little head kercheif for her. Fittingly, it is here modeled by her devotee:



Pattern: Primarily the Kitchy Kercheif in Stitch 'n Bitch, though I changed the bindoff (see notes).

Yarn: Regia Bamboo Color 1066 (previously used here) and Louet Gems sport weight in Willow.

Needles: size 7 bryspun and size 5 brittany dpn

Notes: After getting rolling on the pattern in Stitch 'n Bitch I just went until it seemed long enough. Then, instead of binding off and adding i-cord ties, I started worked the i-cord to the length I wanted, then fed it right into the bindoff and off the other side. In other words, the tie is one long cord, the middle of which was used for the bindoff. Despite consulting EZ's Knitter's Almanac and the Knitting Answer Book, I couldn't get a clear description of how to bind off in a contrasting color of yarn, so in true EZ style, I winged it. It came out fine. I only had to figure out what to do with the tail of varigated yarn that was left loose where I began the bindoff. I just wove it in. I think it will hold. Certainly for the use this little scarf will get (i.e. possibly none) it will work.

Here's the bindoff up close:



An, in the interest of devoting far more time and space to this wee project than it deserves, a shot of how nicely the i-cord ties in back:

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger mm said...

Oh my goodness! THAT IS GORGEOUS! It looks so comfortable and soft. I have some yarn left over from a simple little hat I made my daughter when she was just little... will have to see if I can find a pattern. Thay is too cute!

12:46 PM  
Blogger Kniterella said...

What a wonderful gift! I'm certain it will get some use, if not on a prized stuffed animal or well-loved doll. My Bugg would definitely wear it!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

very nice. I really like the contrasting color bind off.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home