Thursday, April 05, 2007

Nothin' but Knit

For those of you who check here for the birth piece, bear with me. I'm in the midst of a lot of reflection on birth and doula work and temporarily burned out in the writing about it. I don't plan on stopping, but I find it hard lately to muster the heart to say much of anything. View it as a spacing out of contractions!

I also ask your patience as I indulge in my knitting obsession. Until I started knitting, I'd have skipped quickly away from blogs that posted pictures of and wrote at length about yarn. That was before my epiphany, of course.

Anyway, on a tip from Fidget, I ordered 9 balls of yarn from Knit Happens a couple of weeks ago. It arrived Tuesday (when it was 70 degrees here instead of the 30 degrees it is today). I took advantage of the sunlight and my delight in the colors to photograph some of it:



Seven different colorways of Kureyon! AT HALF PRICE!! My intent when I bought them was to begin a Lizard Ridge Afghan. I still may. But for the past two days I've been playing around with the idea of using the afghan's pattern and modular structure in a jacket form. Wouldn't it be gorgeous? With a large garter stitch collar and sleeves in a solid color and the body in those beautiful noro waves?



I spent half an hour last night trying to find whether someone has already done this. I'd happily pay for a pattern rather than design my own. But I came up with nothing. And I don't think it would be too difficult to construct. So we shall see.

In the meantime I'm 3/4 done with the Baby Surprise Jacket. I'm taking photos along the way to help document for myself (assuming a make another one) where the various parts begin and end, the better to place stripes with.

First was just the mitred corners. It looked like this:



Then the increases on either side of the corners started. I just finished the section where I knit only the middle 90 stitches (leaving 34 on either side on the stitch holders you see below).



Still not looking much like a jacket, right? But look with one fold up how the shape begins to appear. On the right, chaos. On the left, a sleeve and front cardi panel.



I should finish this over the weekend and have completed photos by Monday. And maybe some birthy content, too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Can't wait to see what you make with that Kureyon. If it wasn't for all the knots I think Kureyon would be my fav yarn. Soooo colorful.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Very cool baby sweater!

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

once tried zimmmerman's "baby surprise" sweater and could not get into it. always liked her writing but never seemed to slip into her pattern groove. admire the way yours is developing; good idea to do photos along the way.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Emma Someone said...

I had some Noro like that (rainbow colourway) and made a great scarf out of it, so something entrelac will show it off amazingly well :).

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home