Wednesday, January 31, 2007

F.O.tos

I finished the sweater for my older son. It was done just in time for this week's cold snap. He wore it to school yesterday and the day before. I had to make him wear something else today lest the teachers think he was sleeping in his clothes.


Details:

Pattern: My own (as requested by the son)! A 3x2 all-over rib with a v-neck. I call it "Blue Racer."

Yarn: Cascade 220 (100% Peruvian Wool); 4 skeins Blue Tweed (from "The Heathers"), 1 skein Medium Blue

Needles: Bryspun Bry-flex size 7 straight and circular (so I could do 2 sleeves at once)

Total cost: $33.75 (not bad)



Notes: I was stuck on how to trim the neck. I didn't want to do a ribbed neck because the rest of the sweater was ribbed. I didn't think a 1x1 or 2x2 ribbing would look good against the other ribbing. The other usual choice, garter stitch, didn't seem to offer the right aesthetic either. I went with moss stitch. It looks fine but is, I realized in hind-sight, very un-stretchy. I'd done 8 rows of neck edging and had my son try it on. He couldn't get it over his head easily. I ripped back to 3 rows plus bind off and it fit fine.

Also, I had measured and remeasured him but the back (the first piece I did) was too short when I finished. I tried for the first time re-activating stitches near the bottom of the panel and knitting down. It made for a 1/2 stitch jog which is nearly invisible with the ribbing and dark yarn.

This photo shows the ribbing effect nicely:



And a few gratuitous shots from the proud mother/designer of her active son/model:


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Gorgeous. This is exactly what I envision everytime I take up knitting...and I always end up with half a potholder.

5:41 PM  
Blogger k.thedoula said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The model is pretty darn cute too!
k

10:22 PM  
Blogger cooler*doula said...

Ooh - I'm a half pot holder knitter too. So sad. The jumper, on the other hand, is super. Snow... SO pretty to look at, but cold and sometimes yucky, I understand...

5:09 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What an amazing sweater! Nice job - I really like it!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home