Friday, November 10, 2006

F.O.

The reason for red, grey and black on the brain (yesterday's puzzle still open for entries, BTW)?



Pattern: Child's car sweater, from Knit It!, Spring 2006; my own intarsia pattern for the red cross and my modifications to the car pattern for an ambulance.

Yarn: Wool Ease Worsted in Ranch Red, Oxford Grey and White.

If I had it to over again: I'd make more contrasting color rows along the bottom to accomodate the roll. I'd also start the ambulance lower so it doesn't crowd the neck so much.

Final assessment: delight! For my first venture with fair isle knitting and intarsia, I was very pleased with the results. I also was thrilled that my conversion of the pattern, originally calling for chunky weight yarn, to worsted weight worked. The size is as I'd hoped. A bit big for my four-year-old.

Disappointment: The son may never wear it. I went with Wool Ease because it was cheap. And machine washable. I didn't want a $70 sweater ruined by a day at preschool. But I was assuming he'd wear a turtleneck under the sweater and never notice the wool itch. Guess what? Since last winter the boy has developed a deep -- as deep as four-year-old passions can be -- aversion to turtlenecks. No matter I have red, white AND grey hand-me-downs from his brother. He won't wear them.

Here is the $20 ambulance sweater, modeled, possibly for the only time (and with much bribing), by its intended recipient:

Front:


Back:


Coming off (within 4 minutes of putting it on):

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks fantastic. Would an undershirt or t-shirt work under it to cut the itch?

When I was that age I wouldn't wear turtlenecks our pants.... and we lived in Northern Alberta. I still remember wrapping my dresses around my legs before getting into my snowpants to go out and wait for the bus.

7:04 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

Wow, that is awesome! I haven't attempted a sweater yet, so I am very impressed.

Maybe the wool would be less itchy if you lanolized it, the way you would do for a wool diaper cover? I was going to try that once with a sweater but decided it was easier to donate it to Good Will. :P

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how the bottom of the sweater rolls a bit. But all stockinette does that; I often forget and then my color doesn't turn out as I had pictured. But I do think the sweater is so sweet and fun. I understand your disappointment too, about the wool. I made a beautiful sweater for Satchel out of Manos de Uruguay and he wouldn't wear it either...it had "sthquitoeth" (mosquitoes) in it! I gave it to a friend's son, and they love it!

9:08 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Sarah -- you have some mettle. Alberta and no pants? Oy!

I think if a mock turtleneck won't work, I may re-do the red neckband in alpaca and then he can wear it over a long-sleeved tee. I don't want to go the Good Will route yet...so lanolizing will be a last resort, but one I'll take if necessary.

Marianne, I'm itchy (no pun intended) to use Manos...so sorry Satchel reacted to the wool (thanks for the sthquitoeth translation -- I'd have been lost).

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

darling sweater. similar problems with my grandson--not just turtlenecks but any non-cardigan! began to use plymouth encore, 75 acrylic/25 wool, plus stockinette neckline that rolls down.

looks good in tweedy colors, but not much body. gets worn by the kid. i still like to knit wool. sigh.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep - I was a stubborn kid all right.... still have that streak in me. :) And I think alpaca is a great choice - because my parents raise alpacas so I know how wonderful the wool is, even if it is pricey! Hope that works for you.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd pick up and knit a row or two on the bottom, maybe?

For the neck, how about sewing on a fake collar in cotton, so it looks like he's wearing a collared T-shirt underneath?

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home