Friday, October 20, 2006

WIP Saboteur?

During a quiet moment of the mother's labor Saturday I pulled out my scarf for some knitting. Immediately I knew something was wrting. Take a look at my needles.


See how one curves markedly away from the other toward the tip? Closer investigation revealed a broken needle. Nothing a little Scotch tape couldn't stablize temporarily, but a broken needle nonetheless. I reconsidered the carelessness with which I throw my knitting bag in and out of other bags for transport to work and births. Then I felt an irregularity with my finger. Could those be tooth marks?

The back of the needle had matching depressions. It sure looked like someone held the needle in his or her teeth and wrenched it. But who? Who would do that to/with something I left laying around.

Methinks I have a suspect. Yes, definitely a suspect:

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

When did your baby learn Japanese caligraphy?? I think that wall art is perfect kanji for one of those zen riddles about the sound of one hand clapping or something along those lines!

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being an attorney I don't have to remind you that your suspect is innocent until proven guilty. No time out on the naughty mat until he has a fair trial!
Now, where could he find some unbiased representation?

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, call me crazy...BUT....I've been thinking about this post, I think because the drawings were outlined so vividly. Anyway, I was inspired to go to a wonderful book that I use as reference in my kindergarten, "Understanding Children's Drawings:The Path to Manhood" by Michaela Strauss. OK, first, sorry about the title but Waldorf can be very paternalistic. :) So, that said, the writer talks a lot about early drawing and the young child. I wanted to share this one excerpt with you: "The symbol of the cross documents standing in space. Orientation comes from a new impulse...upright standing and walking distinguishes the human being and raises him above the animal kingdom...the circle, with its centre fixed by means of a point or a cross, describes the life situation of the child at this age. He uses these to show inner and outer space, and he puts a cross in the centre to represent himself. He illustrates for the first time his experience of the ego and the world around him. the point of the cross represents the 'I'..." I just find this fascinating and thought you might as well.

And about the knitting needle? I say let the kid off easy; he's doing some hard work that we can't even see! :) Best, Marianne

6:19 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

marianne, thanks so much for the interpretations! They're great! And portuguesa nove and anonymous commenter, thank you for giving me other, more positive perspectives with which to view this issue!

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home