Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Whoring for a Good Cause

Hardly. Though asking for money can feel just about that icky, especially as you're getting used to the idea.

This past weekend I hosted a fundraising tea for the Center for the Childbearing Year. I invited around 100 women that I know (however tangentially -- cut my hair? you're invited. Interviewed me to be your doula and hired someone else? you're invited) and ended up with a crowd of 12. I expected that, actually. THIS really great book actually walks one through various fundraising efforts. It said to expect at 10-20% response rate.

Anyway, among the highlights was getting to talk about all the good things the Center does, showing a slideshow of women in labor and giving birth, and explaining what doulas do and why providing doulas free of charge to low-income women is a cause worth supporting.

The event raised over $600. I was very pleased when I got home and added up the checks. Better still, some women indicated an interest in volunteering for the Center in various capacities. That made all my discomfort around an explicitly "ask" oriented event worthwhile.

2 Comments:

Blogger T$ said...

AWESOME!!!!

2:39 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

The Center is such a GREAT cause to "whore" for, my dear. You are a good woman.

I've met the Director at DONA Conferences and was her "speaker doula" in NoLa for her session!

Hh

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home