Tuesday, May 02, 2006

When doula work, running and knitting converge

Some time back I asked someone to design bedsheets for reading, that have sleeves in them to keep one's arms warm. Well since I have begun knitting I have starting thinking about a garment that would be half blanket, half sweater and would serve the same purpose: keeping one warm while sitting up in bed and reading.

Most of my thinking about the design of this item takes place at night or when I am running.

Last night I had a little Eureka! moment at about mile two. I realized this garment could also be made with nursing slits in it! I always froze when I brestfed in the night. This would keep the body and arms warm while providing the baby access to her food! Brilliant!

I am on a self-imposed boycott of all yarn stores until I visit my in-laws in June (my MIL is a knitter and has promised to both let me raid her huge stash AND take me to a great yarn store in the Adirondacks). I discovered I was spending A LOT of money on yarn. So for now I am sketching plans and contemplating optimal yarns for "Bed Jacket Nouveau," as I'm calling it.

If it can successfully knit one, I'll be sure to print the pattern here (I'm all for free patterns) as well as the "leche" version.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Coulter said...

For night nursing, I have always used a combination of two (quilted) throws, one to cover my legs, the other wrapped around my shoulders and my daughter. I think I wouldn't want the nursing slits, because it's nice to cover her, too. And now that she's a toddler, she demands it. "I want covers!" is part of our nursing routine, regardless of the room temperature. Nevertheless, it's a super cool idea!

11:34 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

I love it that she wants the covers regarless of the temperature. It's probably for the same reason I like flannel pillowcases, even in July: high coziness factor.

I have even thought of a version of this bed jacket with rice or flax seed pockets sewn in so it could be heated in the microwave. My rice sock was the other thing that got me through nursing sessions.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

If you're taking orders, put me down for one. Yellow, please, and no slits.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home