Monday, April 10, 2006

As I go, so goes my blog

In other words, it's been WAY too busy lately and my posts reflect that. My housekeeping (such as it is) reflects that. My "productivity" at work reflects that. And so on.

Anyway, in the past week I did accomplish completion of my third official knitting project, the hooded cardigan for a friend who is adopting a baby from China. Her shower was Saturday at 11:00. At 11:00 I was home, frantically sewing a section of border I'd neglected the night before. This after taking the sweater and five buttons with my to my son's karate class at 10:00.

Anyway, here is the finished project, frantically snapped at 11:02:



It was still damp from blocking the night before. And I learned for future reference that I should take close-up shots of details I want to remember, like the buttons (little six-petaled flowers) and my sleeve-to-shoulder seams, which I pleased with for a first outing.

I tried blowing up a section to show the details, but it's not the best:



I also got a photo of me scanned and uploaded. It's by far my favorite photo of myself as a doula. Mainly because of the context. This was at a birth where the woman got an epidural in early labor and then sat, and sat, and sat -- about 16 hours of sitting -- while her cervix crept open.

We killed time all kinds of ways, including my demonstrating some of the non-birth uses for an exercise ball. I said it was great for stretching one's back, and proceeded to demonstrate. At which time my client's mother snapped this picture. She said, "I can't wait to show my friends what we paid a doula for." We all laughed very hard. And a second time when the photo came back and we agreed, as the image shows, that a doula plays a very important role at birth. wink.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a delightful photo of you!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

SO CUTE!

I think either a.) a pregnant woman would be furious you can do that and she can't at the moment, or b.) she'd be so entertained she'd be distracted!

Hh

11:04 PM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

P.S. LOVE the sweater...you are a natural-knitter!

P.P.S.
My word verification is: maidb

For some reason it sounds like "doula"...in Swahili or something. :)

11:06 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

So THAT'S what a doula does! Great photo -- and good job with the sweater! Must say, the title of your post scared me for a minute. Neither you nor your blog is actually going anywhere, right?

6:48 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Glad you all liked the photos.

nobody's going anywhere. At least for the next 12 months. :)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Love your photo and your beautiful knit work.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Drea said...

Cute knitting

8:37 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I really will get back to doula and birth news. I am just so bitten by the knitting bug now!

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home