Thursday, February 02, 2006

And the Delivery Date Is...

I had another meeting recently with my client who is due in a week. She told me she would have the baby tomorrow. She had many reasons, some including familial numbers and patterns, others involving her partner's determination to maintain their Super Bowl Party tradition, approaching its eleventh year.

Another doula (a fine substitute for T$, but no replacement for her) accompanied me to this meeting so the clients could meet her. She's been to double the births I have and her sister is a homebirth midwife. When we left the house she told me she'd put money on Friday for the delivery. She says when women are that sure in their due date, they're often right.

She told a great story about a client of hers whose water broke on a Tuesday. By Wednesday, the midwife was at the house. The woman was in active labor, contracting well. A day later, same story. No progress from a delivery point of view. Finally the midwife called a huddle and said to the family, "What's going on here? Why isn't this baby coming?" It took a little talking but it eventually came out that they had been certain the baby would come on X date, still 4 days away. The midwife said, "I'll see you then," and went home. The baby arrived four days later, as the family originally planned.

Apocryphal, possibly. Believable, certainly.

I'll share my next birth story tomorrow. Or whenever it happens!

1 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

The water broke and the midwife waited for 4 days?! Or am I misunderstanding.

Yana, my friend and fellow doula, whom I have blogged about a lot (you saw her on TV) decided when she'd give birth. It happened!

Hh

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home