Sunday, November 20, 2005

Trying to Outsmart the Universe

You just can't do it, ya know?

I refrained from taking any doula clients this fall (September through December). Why? Because in the past this is the time when our family is plagued with colds and flus, not to mention overextension with school and work activities.

So with my months off call, what exactly happened? Nothing. The kids were well. I was healthy. Spouse was healthy. One of my big events at work got cancelled, leaving me with a wide-open October.

I am now jumping back in with doula clients in January, February and April. AND a family trip to Florida in March. What are the odds our good health will continue for another three months? Well the optimists in the crowd can wipe their smug smiles away, because the odds are zippo. Older son woke up this morning with a headache and sore throat. By dinner time he had a 102 fever.

Granted, he might wake up fine tomorrow and the rest of us might dodge his virus. BUT if this is like years past, we are passing through the gateway into WinterIllnessLand, a bleak and demoralizing place that takes weeks and weeks to cross. And that's if you don't get lost and have to double back through, just as you thought you were leaving.

On the other hand, I am coming to trust a little proverb (mantra?) I apply to doula work: This will all work out. When I've had clients in labor and a can't miss doctor appointment or vacation beginning imminently, I tell myself This Will All Work Out. So far it has. I will say that as I ramp up the doula work again.

I will Will it to work out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Wanted to drop by and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving.

~Deb

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home