Thursday, November 03, 2005

Compadres

I wanted to share two stories of doctors who "get it" when it comes to birth. I don't have links for either of these because I have witnessed one first-hand and had another shared with me by a friend.

First, there is a family practice doctor (far west of Ann Arbor, alas) who is advocating on behalf of a doula, to add her to the practice staff so she can attend births with the doctor. AND GET PAID BY THE PRACTICE.

Second, an OB/GYN in town is about to beging a research project looking at the effectiveness of many of the traditional pregnancy and birth herbs (red raspberry leaves, black cohosh, blue cohost, etc.). He does not want to debunk them, but rather wants to find out how to standardize use in obstetrical management. Bless his heart. This is a doctor who also spends half the year in developing countries working trying to improve maternal mortality rates.

3 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Cool stories... ;)
Hh

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am looking for a natural birth friendly OB - can you share names with me?

Thanks

12:51 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Dr. Frank Anderson at U-M; Dr. Cyr at U-M...who else? Dr. Elizabeth Shadigian for sure (she was at U-M...I heard she has her own practice now). I don't know the OBs who deliver at St. Joe's well enough to say who's pro-natural birth and who isn't. Dr. Deenadalaju with AGO has been great at the midwife births I've been at (when he's been called in for counsel).

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home