Thursday, October 20, 2005

and I consider myself informed!

Our paper carried an AP article yesterday on how the market for premature baby clothes and products is growing. Why? Because the rate of premature births in the U.S. has grown from around 9.4% in 1981 to over 12% in 2003.

!!!

Zoinks! Where have I been? I knew that March of Dimes is focusing its biggest campaign on premature birth and that there is much discussion of how to prevent preterm labor. But I did not realize that the rate was increasing.

I've spent an hour on-line looking for explanations for the rise. Apparently THAT is the question researchers are seeking to answer. The National Academy of Sciences is sponsoring a project that seeks to identify causes of prematurity. Among its goals is to, "Review and assess the various factors contributing to the growing incidence of premature birth, which may include the trend to delay childbearing and racial and ethnic disparities."

Hmmm...not much to go on.

So if you have some money you haven't already earmarked for the kids' college accounts, Christmas, a well-earned vacation, hurricane relief, winter heating bills or Amnesty International, why not share it with March of Dimes?

November is Prematurity Awareness Month

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

You're right, where have *I* been too. This makes such sense for the demand for clothes, diapers, etc to fit these little ones!

~Deb

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've noticed that. I'm glad the demand is being filled, but I can't help but wonder how much the rising rates have to do with all the inductions and elective cesareans that are all the rage these days.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

My thoughts exactly, ahavah.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home