Friday, August 12, 2005

Back in a week. But first, a birth.

Quickly: My client had her baby yesterday. Hurrah. Great birth; only a shot of narcotic to get the birthing mother through a 26 hour first labor. Her daughter, at 7 lb. 1 oz. cutie, was welcomed into her mothers' arms at 6:18 last night. The non-birth mother's family shot out of their seats in the waiting room when T$ and I went out to tell them the baby had been born. All but the grandfather were thrilled to have a girl. He was consoled that she has a Russian name. He is a Russian immigrant. (Coincidentally, his daughter, the non-birth mother, and I studied Russian with the same professors, a few years apart, at MSU. Small world.)

Check out T$'s blog for more details. We revived our "double doula" act to much buzz around the hospital.

I have have more reflections on the birth but will wait to unload them until a time when I'm not trying to wash four loads of laundry, brief the house sitter, and pack for a week in northern Michigan.

I am taking to read:

Daughter's Keeper by Ayelet Waldman
Cry, the Beloved Counry (for our book group) by Alan Paton
Songs of Enchantment by Ben Okri

Be back soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Have a great trip, a good rest, and enjoy your family and good the literature you are taking to pass the (hopefully) relaxing hours.

I look forward to hearing your reflections on the birth and your trip, I hope, too. Having grown up in Michigan (lived in SE) until I was 21, and having had many summers outside Marquette in the UP I am a little jealous.

Hh

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home