Sunday, April 17, 2005

Uterus. Heart. Meaning?

For several weeks I have been perplexed by an image spray painted on the sidewalk outside the university building where I work. It is a hot pink uterus with a little hot pink heart next to it. It was clearly created from a stencil laid on the sidewalk and a can of paint -- the sort of system intended for rapid replication of images. Yet this is the only one I have seen in my frequent and varied walks around campus.

What does this image mean? And why did someone go to such lengths to paint it on a relatively minor sidewalk?

I will try to snap a photo of the real thing tomorrow at work, but for now, you can get some idea what it looks like by viewing the image here.

As much as I like answers, I have to say I have a developing fondness for this unexplained uterus + heart icon. It feels like it was put there for me, to remind me as I head in to my other work, that the uterus is always out there, always loved (or loving?) and that someone else feels the same way I do about it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gel said...

I read your profile. Although I'm a voracious reader and had often heard of M. Atwood, I had never read any of her books. Saturday, I checked out several of her books. The Handmaid's Tale was not on the shelf. I came home and my high school daughter immediately told me she wanted to read that one, too. Are there other books of hers that you particularly like? I haven't had a chance to start any yet. I went full hog and checked out The Robber Bride,
Alias Grace, Wilderness Tips, Cat's Eye, and Life Before Man.
. I figured if I liked her works, I'd enjoy having more here to read.

11:26 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Green-Eyed Lady,

Thanks for the comments. The Handmaid's Tale is one of only 3 books of hers I've read. Oryx and Crake, which I read in the book group with Bookworm, is another great one. I did not like The Robber Bride. Others have recommended The Blind Assassin to me, which I'll probably make my next "Atwood" read.

Your comment prompted me to add Anita Diamont's The Red Tent to my favorite books. If you (and your teenage daughter) haven't read it, you should!

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home