Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Meme

Courtesy of Bookworm:

1. You are stuck inside Fahrenheit 451; which book do you want to be?
I see from Bookworm this means what book to you want to memorize and thus be responsible for preserving. Tall order. And I’m not much of a memorizer. But I do think Darwin’s Origin of Species is pretty important. If the book has to be a work of fiction, then I’d choose Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax.

2. Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
A crush, no. But I had a really warped attraction to Humbert Humbert in Nabakov’s Lolita. There was something titillating about such a perverted man’s cruel attentions to the girl. I AM NOT a freak, but what can I say?

3. Last book(s) you read?
Oryx and Crake, by Margaret Atwood. And that’s about all the post-apocalyptic dystopia I can face for a few months.

4. What are you currently reading?
The Power and the Glory by Grace MacGowan Cooke. I stumbled across it in the library when I was looking for Oryx and Crake. It was published in 1910 and is a lively and eye-opening story about one girl’s descent from the Appalachian mountains to toil in the textile mills of Tennessee.

5. Five books you would take to a desert island?
At least two would be field guides to local flora and fauna. One would be the American Boys Handy Book. One would be an anthology of poetry. And I suppose the one book of fiction I would bring to read over and over would be The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter, because it is set in the neighborhoods around my house and would remind me of home.

Who are you going to pass this stick to and why?
I am guessing, by Bookworm’s blog, that it has to be bloggers who have visited my site. That said, I would like to see responses to these questions from:
Sage Femme, because she has such thoughtful posts and has referred in several posts to books that have influenced her.
PinkLady, because she is being so honest about a hard time in her life and besides, thinking about books might help her think of other ways to deal with her loss.
T$, because although we are friends and back each other up as doulas, we never have talked about books (well, birth-related books excluded) together.

I'm wondering if rules of the meme allow me to tell them I've passed it on, or if the fun is in seeing if they ever do. I think I'll work on my patience and wait.

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Origin of Species...good one!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home