Monday, March 07, 2005

Can you hear it? It's another lost wish for a vaginal birth

My March client called me today. She had a checkup this morning at which her doctor recommended she have a Cesarean birth this Friday.

Why? Because the baby is still very high, there has been "no change" in the mother's cervix during the past two weeks (she isn't dilated, is "only" 50% effaced and the cervix is very posterior). Am I missing anything? Oh, yes. They think the baby will be large, around nine pounds.

The doctor told my client, "It looks as if your baby is telling us he won't come out on his own."

It seems to me there are two ways to interpret this information. Either you say (and speculate) that the baby WON'T come out or you say the baby IS NOT READY to come out.

Did I mention that the mother is still 3 days shy of her official due date?

If she has two more weeks to go to be within the normal range of deliveries, how can you pass judgment now on what will happen when her body and baby are ready to labor?

The up side for me is that I will attend the birth. I have not been present at a Cesarean birth before. I'd just as soon miss the chance if it meant she could have the baby vaginally, but I guess that goes without saying!

4 Comments:

Blogger Sage Femme said...

do these doctors hypnotize these women? does she WANT a c-section? ugh. ugh. ugh.

that is so sad. I cannot believe she would just swallow that line. Wait - yes, I can. :( Sucks.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ugh. I was talking to a woman recently who had three c-sections because "my cervix doesn't move." And she is an M.D. Well, I'm eagerly awaiting the birth story anyway.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

This is a sad story, indeed. Here's hoping for a great birth experience in spite of the c-section.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a friend of mine says...if mom and baby are doing well, just don't take off your clothes...don't show up at the hospital for an induction or surgery.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home