Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Better than Grandmaw’s Feather Bed

This month, for the first time in my entire life, I was looking forward to my period. I was nearly giddy with anticipation. Why? Two good reasons. First, a few days’ relief from my fibrocystic breast pain. Second, the opportunity to try out my reusable cloth pads!

Now that “Aunt Kathy” has come and gone and I’m in the post-event let-down period not unlike the weeks after Christmas, I thought I’d cheer myself by offering a few reactions to the pads. [Spouse: you probably want to stop reading now, if you have even made it this far.]

For my first go ‘round I opted for the strategy I recommend to parents contemplating the use of cloth diapers: order one or two from several different sources to see which you like best BEFORE buying a two-week supply. For my part, I bought Lunapads and Gladrags.

Both are in delicious flannel. That is exciting right there. I am a fool for flannel. I have flannel sheets and flannel pajamas and even though it makes it difficult to turn around in bed I use them at the same time. And the Gladrags were in this sweet calico print that almost made me want to cuddle them like stuffed animals instead of snap them into my panties.

I was prepared to prefer the Lunapads. Not only do they have a great web site, they use a removable liner system that allows you to keep the pad in place. This seemed more practical for being at work, and more economical, since the liners are much cheaper than a whole Gladrags pad. And the Gladrags were huge. They reminded me of the maxiest of maxi pads I wore back in the days when my mother bought my period supplies. More life raft than a sanitary napkin.

But in the wearing, Gladrags came out on top. The Lunapads liners were difficult to keep in place. They got wrinkled, which made them uncomfortable. By comparison, the Gladrags’ size and softness was so soothing, so gentle. Almost as good as a trip to the spa.

Which is close to a vacation as I’ll get for the next few months!

3 Comments:

Blogger Pamela said...

whoo! I loved my Glad Rags until I got my Keeper. No more pads for me! No sirree! I love my Keeper!

6:17 PM  
Blogger doulicia said...

One step at a time.

You're the second person I know who's gone that route

4:04 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Welcome to the Reusable Pads Club! I'm so glad you brought this topic up again! After checking out the online menstruation museum I was inspired to go back and try my Keeper another time. It worked a lot better this time (did something in me get altered after Daniel's birth??). Though I can't say I'm looking forward to my next period, I do plan to continue experimenting with the Keeper. My goal is to be like Sage Femme and give up pads for good. Yuk. I just hate that squishy feeling.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home