Saturday, January 01, 2005

Putting Things in Perspective

I may have mentioned a midwife friend (on the West Coast, not in Michigan) who went and did a month’s service at a medical mission in rural Guatemala last year. She came back and said it was hard to listen to her patients, middle-class women, complaining about minor pregnancy discomforts or worrying over details of their intricate birth plans. “It’s hard to be sympathetic when I’ve just seen a Guatemalan woman with a prolapsed uterus, who only came to the clinic to have her son’s tumor removed. She didn’t even consider her condition worth treatment!”

As I read accounts of women birthing or trying to keep their children alive in the wake of the tsunami, I get a sense of what she meant.

Don’t get me wrong. I think birth is a sacred event and a rite of passage. I agree fully that birth has been medicalized to the harm of women and babies. I believe women should be in control of their births and making informed decisions about their care. After all, I am a doula.

But when I think about poverty, malnutrition, famine and natural disasters, I confess I would not want to be pregnant, or laboring, or mothering a newborn in any of those situations. If I had been eating only rice and living in a slum with an open sewer in the street, being able to refuse an IV in labor would be low on my priority list.

On many occasions I have heard a doctor or nurse console a mother facing unwanted interventions by saying, “as long as you have a healthy baby in the end, it doesn’t matter how you got there.” It always makes me bristle. “IT VERY MUCH MATTERS!” is what I want to scream at them.

But when I step way back, I think my attitude is completely contextual. In other words, as a white, North American, middle class woman, OF COURSE I am going to think the process matters. It does. But only because I have grown up with a Western sense of individuality, priorities, self-determination, affluence.

Were I a rickshaw driver birthing a baby in the dark, on an island hilltop off India, hours after a tidal wave nearly killed me, I would only care about having a healthy baby in the end and living myself. It would not matter how I got there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sage Femme said...

this was a great entry. :)

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy sex toys online like realistic male love dolls, realistic vaginas real person mold, restraints accessories and sex toys. Also buy sextoys products like ankle restraints, chastity, gags, neckhead restraints, restraints on bed and other discount sex toys store items online.

realistic male love dolls
realistic vaginas
realistic vaginas real person mold
restraints accessories
ankle restraints
chastity restraints
restraints gags
neckhead restraints
restraints on bed
sextoy
sex toys store

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home