Friday, December 31, 2004

Another Rousing New Year's Eve

After Elf finishes at 9:38 p.m. My spouse's head lifts off the recliner. He gives a few dazed blinks, wipes a little moisture off the corner of his mouth and asks “was it good?”

I say “I’m going to blog a bit.” And he’s all “No, dude! You got to get to bed or you’ll be a crab tomorrow and I’ll have to take care of those kids.” He’s referring to our children.

Anyway, he is the one who only got 4 hours sleep two nights ago and has never caught up from it (James discovered he could climb out of the port-a-crib while we were at the Great Wolf Lodge and did so at 3 a.m. and didn’t fall back to sleep until 6 a.m.). In fairness I do tend to get fussy if I am awoken before 7 a.m. Which is to say every day.

“Come on. Let’s be responsible grownups here. I’ll even read a while to keep you company. Hey, am I feverish or is it cold in here?”

Never mind that it’s New Year’s Eve. We haven’t met the new year since 2000 when my husband watched the broadcast of fireworks in Paris and I waited for the grid to go down. When your two energetic sons wake up at 6:30 regardless of how late you keep them up you finally resign yourself to getting to bed at an hour that could conceivably give you seven hours’ sleep. If no one wakes up in the middle of the night. And the cat doesn’t have a hairball attack. And no one goes into labor.

So I concede the wisdom of his order and head off to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

When I come out, everything is changed. He has a fresh beer – cheers! – and is wearing an excited smile. “TCM is showing The Last Waltz!”

You don’t say.

I will be going to bed soon. With some luck I’ll either be asleep or closing in on the end of The Little Women (for my book group) in an hour. He will be watching The Last Waltz. (Neil Young has just come on stage and is singing Helpless. Joni Mitchell is doing the vocals offstage. Did you ever realize the Muppet Show Band Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem was made in the mage of real musicians? Dr. Teeth = Dr. John. Janice = Joni Mitchell.)

Husband just conceded “There’s nothing quite so pathetic as a nostalgic middle-aged person is there?” At least he’s self aware.

We’ll have to see which of us is crabbier tomorrow when those kids roll into their first morning of the new year.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Oh my gosh! I LOVE The Last Waltz! Next time I see Phil we will have to discuss this!

And by the way: Animal = Keith Moon.

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy sex toys online like pumps with and without sleeves, realistic anus, realistic cocks and sex toys. Also buy sextoys products like animal love dolls, realistic female love dolls, pump parts, realistic cocks real person mold and other discount sex toys store items online.

prescription drugs
pump parts
pumps with sleeves
pumps without sleeves
realistic anus
realistic cocks
realistic cocks real person mold
animal love dolls
realistic female love dolls
sextoy
sex toys store

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home